Photo Credit: 
Alexandria Randolph

A Lometa man was apprehended Thursday evening after he allegedly led police on a manhunt that began as a high-speed pursuit earlier that morning. 
Anthony Wayne Zilinski, 33, of Lometa was arrested on charges of evading arrest or detention with a vehicle with previous conviction and failure to identify as a fugitive. 
Zilinski will receive a second evasion charge from San Saba County Sheriff’s Office. Additional charges also may be pending from the Lampasas County Sheriff’s Office, Sheriff Jess Ramos said.
At about 10 a.m. Thursday, Lometa police attempted to stop a vehicle for speeding on U.S. Highway 183 near the intersection of County Road 2060. 
At the time, Lometa police units were unaware that the same vehicle allegedly had fled from San Saba sheriff’s deputies minutes earlier and was being pursued by deputies at that time, according to a Lampasas County Sheriff’s Office news release. 
At 10:02 a.m., dispatch officers reported that Lometa police were in pursuit of what initially was described as a black passenger car heading south on U.S. 183 toward Lampasas city limits at about 100 mph. Lampasas police units stationed at the intersection of U.S. 183 and FM 580 East set up spike strips. 
At 10:07 a.m., dispatchers reported that the vehicle had turned onto CR 2001 and was headed northwest back toward Lometa. During the pursuit, police told dispatch officers that Zilinski threw a white bag out of his vehicle. 
After traveling about eight miles north on the roadway, the vehicle crashed into a fence in the 9000 block of CR 2001, LCSO officials said. 
“The driver of the fleeing vehicle fled on foot from the crash site and ran into [a] wooded area,” authorities said. 
Several agencies, including LCSO, San Saba Sheriff’s Office, Mills County Sheriff’s Office, Texas Department of Public Safety and Lampasas Police Department responded to the crash site in search of the suspect. 
Authorities used a number of resources in their attempt to locate the subject. 
At 11 a.m., remote-control drone aircraft were deployed in the search, and the Texas Department of Criminal Justice Canine Tracking Unit out of Gatesville responded with a “scent specific canine and two teams of tracking canines, as well as trained horses utilized in manhunts,” authorities said. 
“Several other investigative techniques were utilized, but to no avail,” officials said. 
Authorities conducted a “massive manhunt” by foot, air and all-terrain vehicles for several hours and searched several ranch houses, vehicles and outbuildings in the area, Ramos said. U.S. Army Apache helicopters, which were in the area to conduct a training exercise, also volunteered their assistance. 
Ramos called off the search just before 6:30 p.m. He said he believed Zilinski had received a ride from a passerby or a friend and had left the area. 
Ramos, however, decided he would remain at the scene in case Zilinski resurfaced from his hiding spot at dusk. 
The sheriff went to check the home of a friend who was out of town and then drove his unmarked vehicle back down the roadway, he said.
It was then at about 7:28 p.m. that Ramos saw a man walking north on the road just 400 yards south of the crash site. 
Ramos drove past the man and was able to identify him as Zilinski. He stopped his vehicle and then saw Zilinski turn to approach him. 
Ramos arrested Zilinski with no further incident. 
Lometa police transported Zilinski to AdventHealth Rollins Brook for treatment of dehydration and small cuts on his bare feet, hands and arms, authorities said. 
Ramos said it was fortunate Zilinski was apprehended before the cold front came through later that night, dropping temperatures to 48 degrees by Friday morning. 
Zilinski then was transported to Lampasas County Jail where he was booked at 10:50 p.m. on the felony and misdemeanor charges. 
Authorities said Zilinski also had an outstanding warrant from the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office on a charge of possession of marijuana.