Because of damage Kempner City Hall sustained when a vehicle crashed into it on Sunday, the Kempner City Council has canceled its meeting that was scheduled Aug. 27. Instead, the council will meet Aug. 29 in the Kempner Volunteer Fire Department training room, located at 315 Pecan St. A workshop session will start at 6 p.m., and the regular meeting will begin at 7 p.m.
The workshop will include discussion about the following: Welcome to Kempner signs, a procedures policy and ordinance, and upcoming city expenses. There also will be an opportunity for the council to discuss any item on the regular agenda.
During the regular session, there will be an update about City Hall and a time for citizens to address the council. Members of the public who wish to speak must sign in with the city secretary before the meeting.
The agenda for the regular session lists the following items for action by the council:
• Council reserves the right to convene in executive session to discuss security, pursuant to Government Code Section 551.076.
• Council reserves the right to convene in executive session to discuss personnel matters: reserve police officer position, pursuant to Government Code Section 551.074.
• Council will reconvene into public session and take action, if any, as Council determines.
• Discussion and possible action concerning postponed item from August 13, 2019 agenda, reconstruction of Welcome to Kempner signs.
• Discussion and possible action concerning the contract for the new website provider, Charles Gilmore of iElev8media.
• Presentation by Perry Hayden from Texas Waste Solutions.
• Discussion and possible action concerning Ordinance 2019-08-27-001, Texas Waste Solutions.
• Discussion and possible action concerning postponed item from August 13, 2019 agenda, City of Kempner Rules of Procedure Policy.
• Discussion and possible action concerning Purchase Order Policy for the City of Kempner.
CITY HALL TO REOPEN AUG. 28
City Hall was closed for two business days because of the damage from the vehicle crash, but the city announced the building will reopen Aug. 28 at 9 a.m.
Municipal Court that had been scheduled Aug. 30 has been canceled. It will be rescheduled as soon as possible, and defendants will be notified, the city website said.
"Thank you for your patience as we work through this," the city said on its website.