2017-03-17 / Front Page

Fire chief injured while working at scene of accident

Lampasas Fire Chief Reece Oestreich was injured Sunday night when a car struck his fire department vehicle while he and other firefighters were helping at the site of an earlier accident.

Texas Department of Public Safety Trooper III Mark Owens said Oestreich's injuries were "non-incapacitating," and the fire chief was released from Rollins Brook Community Hospital later in the night. 

Owens gave the following account of the wreck, which occurred at 9:30 p.m. at the intersection of U.S. Highway 190 East and Sunrise Hills.

The crash that injured Oestreich stemmed from a separate accident about 200-300 yards east of Sunrise Hills, where a vehicle had struck a tire in the roadway. Firefighters responded, and Oestreich parked his fire department 2015 Ford Explorer in the left eastbound lane, facing east, to block traffic, Owens said.

While the fire chief was in front of his vehicle, an eastbound 2012 Mazda 3 car failed to stop or slow down, Owens said. The front-left of the Mazda, driven by 21-year-old Bryan Everette of Burnet, hit the back-right of the Ford Explorer, pushing the vehicle into Oestreich.

Owens said the Ford Explorer struck Oestreich while the fire chief tried to run out of the way. 

"He went up and over the vehicle," Owens said. "There are dents on his hood, and there's a black mark on his hood."

While the Mazda was spinning counter-clockwise from the collision with the Ford Explorer, another eastbound car, which was in the outside lane, hit the Mazda.

The 2014 Ford four-door passenger car was driven by 19-year-old Xyion Flores of Killeen. His pregnant wife, 19-year-old Irene Flores of Killeen, was in the passenger seat. Owens said there was a young child in a child seat in the back of the car.

Mrs. Flores said she began having pain after the wreck, Owens reported. As a result, the Ford car and its occupants were released from the crash site, and Flores drove his wife to Carl R. Darnall Army Medical Center at Fort Hood.

Acadian transported the fire chief to Rollins Brook Community Hospital.

Owens said Everette will receive a citation.

Return to top